Saturday, June 29, 2013

Boston Pride (Boston 5)

The first time we went to Quincy Market, we noticed a banner hanging on a building that read, "Boston Pride Week." There were many different colors surrounding the words, so we knew what it meant. That Friday was the start of a week long celebration of gay pride. Roswell, and all of us for that matter, knew that we needed to go back to Quincy Market that weekend. So we did.



--------------------------

If you read the last post about Boston, you'd understand the burden I have for these people. As we started to head to Quincy Market that day, we were very silent and in prayer. We got off of the subway and for some reason Chelsea and Jerica stayed back because they felt like they needed to wait at the subway. Roswell, our team leader, stayed with them as the rest of us continued to make the trip to Quincy Market without them. He sent Matt and I a text telling us that we were in charge. I had no idea what that meant, but we attempted to stay organized and focus.

When we arrived in Quincy Market we saw all of the decorations, balloons, and booths set up for Pride Week. What really caught our attention was a stage that wasn't there three days before, with a guitarist singing some catchy tunes. We prayed together and split into our teams, with the exception of those who weren't with us.

Clay. Caleb, and I sat down for a bit and watched the show. We were all reminding each other how to not just look for someone to look for someone, how to let God lead you to it. After a while, the guitarist walked off of stage and a guy stepped on that applauded the act. He then talked about what Boston Pride week was and then continued to teach us how to salsa dance. Caleb looked at me and said that he kinda wanted to join in, and I went with him. The moves were so awkward, and on top of that when the guy asked us to partner up, he told the hesitant heterosexuals that it was okay to be paired up with the same sex. I laughed really hard in my mind, but I had to really get over the fact that my partner would be Caleb. Stop laughing at me. I guess that was what it truly meant when Paul wrote I become all things to all men in 1 Corinthians 9.

After just sitting around not knowing how to tackle ministry to homosexuals, Roswell, Chelsea, & Jerica finally showed up. We got a bite to eat and then tried to figure out a game plan. Roswell felt that we should do cardboard signs.

We were in this restaurant called Wagamama that was in Quincy Market where we started on the signs. One read Spiritual Cleansing, which I thought was kind of weird. The others said Want Prayer?, God is Love 1 John 4:19, & You Are Loved by God. 

Roswell split the entire group into two, and we stood on two separate ends of Quincy Market. My side stood near the display, stage, band, & balloons. I had the sign that said God is Love. Not everyone had a sign, so those who didn't paired up with those who did. Chelsea stood with me and Roswell was also very close, along with Travis and Molly a five yards away.

The signs did what they were made to do: get the attention of people, gay or not. We received many looks and comments from people who thought that we were protesting. They are used to Christians attending these types of celebrations and using signs to condemn them. However, this is not what we went there to do. For us, the signs were an avenue to tell them about the unconditional love Christ has for us all. But doing that and still disagreeing with homosexuals on God's purpose for man and women would be tricky. We didn't want to offend, but we would not compromise.

A waitress that worked outside at a nearby bar stared at me from a distance. Matter of fact she stared me straight in the eyes. Chelsea kept asking me if I had wanted to take a break from holding the sign, but I said no. Then when the waitress got my attention, she took the sign away from me, knowing that I needed to talk to this woman. I went over and she asked me what did I stand for. I've never gotten asked that before, so I just replied, Jesus. And I kept going. I told her that I believe that John 3:16 tells us that God loves the whole world. It says it plain in text, in every version. There should be no debate in that. I also told her that I believe that we all sin and disobey God. Finally I said that God loves us anyways, so He sent Jesus to die the death we should have died, and everyone who believes is redeemed by God.

Allison's homosexual. She was about my height with spiky brunette hair. She then asked me what was up with our signs, because she was used of Christians protesting at events such as these. And I replied to her that we are just trying to share the love that was shared with us, we weren't there to judge. She began to smile, and it was a great avenue to continue to talk to her about Jesus. Soon, her boss told her that they were beginning to become busy, but she told me thank you as she had to leave. I really hope something happened to her that day that changed her life.

Then there was a group of children in red jackets walking around the event. I had dreadlocks, with a dark shirt on, and it was 95 degrees. It felt as if the sun was walking distance, and this group had on red jackets. They reminded me of my fraternity. They were from California, Orange County to be more specific. It was a Jr. High taking a trip to Boston and their leader, who's name is Ezekiel,  led them. We met Ezekiel, and he was an awesome man of God. He is a believer and he believes that his kids will do great things for the kingdom. There were probably 30 children total, and we all got to pray with them. It was a beautiful scene.

Later on, after we all had gotten severely tired from the sun, we met a man named Kenneth, who was drawn to us. At this time, I was with Caleb H, Sarah, & Molly. We talked to Kenneth for a very long time.  Kenneth had just moved to Boston from Alabama, with his husband. He attended a Christian college, where he had met his husband, Ashley. There are no typos at all in this paragraph.

Kenneth told us that he was Christian, and he asked us about what we were doing out at Boston Pride week. We told him the same thing we told everyone else, to spread the love of Jesus. He commended us, and he explained that the reason why he left Alabama was because of how people treated homosexuals. Luckily, the question about whether or not homosexuality is a sin, was never brought up. So, we tried to encourage Kenneth, without entertaining homosexuality, but still making sure he understands we love him. It was a lot harder than it sounds. We thought that the best way for us to go deeper with Kenneth was to invite him to Redeemer Fellowship, the church we were staying at in Watertown. He gladly accepted, and we got to pray over his life with him. He didn't attend the weekend that we were there, however, I hope that when he does attend, God gives him the clarity to understand sin and I hope God gives the church the backbone to love this man despite it.

I can't possibly type everything that happened or all of the people we had talked to that day or any other day for that matter. It would take too long and fill up space. All I'm saying is that God moved, and Boston Pride was the most challenging, bite-your-tongue, unconditional love I have ever showed to people. And it wasn't me. It wasn't my politics, or religion games that showed up that day or any other day in Boston. It was Jesus. And Jesus loves gay people.

(...to be continued)

2 Comments:

At July 1, 2013 at 6:04 AM , Blogger simply_sarah said...

I've actually been in contact with Kenneth several times since meeting him. He said that he's been telling all of his friends about us and how he's going to stop stereotyping Christians and judging them just because they're Christians. He hasn't been to RFC yet because he went home to Mississippi one weekend and his mother in law came up to visit the next but he still says he wants to go.

 
At July 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM , Blogger _mitchj said...

Wow Sarah that's crazy!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home